Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Jambalaya

IMG_5747

Onion, chopped

Mild green peppers, chopped

2 stalks celery, sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 can diced tomatoes with juices

3 cups brown rice

4 cups chicken broth

6 bone-in chicken thighs (browned in skillet, mostly cooked)

2 cups ham (chopped up in fine dice)

2 cups medium shrimp (thrown in from the freezer)

Paprika, salt & pepper to taste

 

Sauté onions, peppers, celery & garlic until softened. Brown chicken thighs in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil. Dump everything except the rice into the Crock Pot. I turned the temperature on hot for the first hour & low for the remainder of the time. Jared proclaimed this “HEAVENLY!” and Ryan said, “It looks like my throw up.” No one was up for leftovers but they are not used to having the same thing – this made a lot of food! I have heard that you can add spicy sausage too but Scott does not go for spice.

image A funny story (not for the easily offended)  – These peppers are equated with little boys’ parts in Korea. Scott can explain it better than I can.  I bought them at the farmers market at Whole Foods last week. I giggled as I chopped them up. I am sure that any mild pepper would do – these are the mildest I have ever tasted though! (And peppers don’t like me!)

2 comments:

  1. Jenna! I love to make Jumbalaya and this one looks so good. I can't wait to try it with brown rice. I am on a brown rice kick lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chanin, The brown rice was so yummy! It was creamy & smooth & melt-in-your-mouth good.

    ReplyDelete