Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

a Food sATurated world

When I was growing up, I was a bean pole. People asked me if I was anorexic all the time. Fast forward thirty years & no one asks me that any more. (ahem) My neck & shoulders hurt all the time – and losing weight will take some strain & stress off of the region. So I have enrolled in boot camp, upped my cardio, and taken on DJ’s diet of death. (Just kidding – but it is Spartan.)

Every day that I drove around town last week, all I saw were fast food places and restaurants. Nothing really called to me, but convenience was trying to draw me back. My diet has consisted of lots & lots of fresh fruits & vegetables, lean protein (chicken & tilapia) , a little brown rice & oatmeal. These are great foods, but salads & vegetables take time to prepare. I know that I will get used to this new way of life, but it is taking a while.

On the days that I go spinning (cycling class), I need to increase my caloric intake. I was HUNGRY!  I am starting to learn what hunger feels like. I have eaten a variety of fruits & vegetables – and wish that my family would join me in my healthier eating because the refrigerator is overflowing with produce. We will certainly save money by not going out to eat as often.

I have increased my trips to the gym – and the number of naps that I take!!! I did four spinning classes last week; one was self-taught & just as hard as the rest. I went to boot camp at 5 a.m. for two days. I am certain that I thought about going to yoga or Pilates a few times but didn’t do it. I even turned the treadmill on at 9:45 on Saturday night because I still owed my body 55” of cardio. I haven’t had a Diet Coke for over a week & I haven’t really missed it. I have downed A LOT of water – I carry around a Gatorade lip lid bottle & nurse it all day long. I am starting to feel like I am healthier & have more energy. I like it.

I really appreciate having someone to be accountable to. It is working – I am losing weight successfully for the first time in a really long time & I am so excited! I love the “this is easy” feeling. I remember having it before & taking it for granted. I want it to stay this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment